Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Updates

I am ready to start chemotherapy as soon as next week. I have to get a port put in and my surgeon is out of town. As soon as the port is in place I will be ready to start treatment. My oncologist said that my tumor was "stable" vs "unstable". I don't know what that means but in dummy terms she explained that the tumor was very aggressive and ugly. It is a smart one and that was not good. She highly recommended chemo because of the chance of the tumor coming back.
I will be receiving 12 treatments over the course of 6 months. I will go in on a Monday, have a pump attached to my port and wear it until Wednesday. That will happen twice a month. I will not lose my hair with this drug and the most anticipated side effect is some tiredness. She said I should be able to resume life as usual but I may get a little more worn out than usual.
The only thing that I was warned to be extra careful about are germs. I will not have much of an immune system. I would ask that if you show ANY sign of illness (even just a cough or allergy symptoms) please stay clear of my house! I would surely hate to conquer cancer only to be put in the hospital over the common cold!

5 comments:

larshannon said...

I might never see you since we bathe in germs. :) Good luck with it all. I'll wear a mask and make some chocolate chip cookies for you.

Ally said...

What a blessing that you won't lose your hair. I'm here to help, so let me know what you need!

SarahCarroll said...

I love you & will be praying for you daily. I know this wont be easy for you... and am glad you have so many people supporting you through this. ME too! Please let me know if theres ever anything I can do... even if just to talk. Im always here. Always.

Brimaca said...

I always have allergy symptoms so that dinner we planned may be postponed right? I can definately bring it to you until you are better.

Chad and Jennifer Chamberlain said...

Wow Steph! We will definitely be praying for you and thinking of you often. I hope you know how much you're loved! You rock!