Monday, August 10, 2009

My body is an old Ford

I have been having some pain...imagine that! It keeps getting worse. Saturday I left our Bishop's BBQ...limping. I figured that I must be doing too much and it was the weekend anyway so my hands were tied. Sunday I was still feeling bad so I decided to go ahead and call the doctor on Monday. Which one, you may ask? Good question! I currently have 5. I started running a fever today and had decided to start with Internal Medicine because I obviously have an infection. I also called the surgeon because I am only 2 1/2 weeks post-op and he would probably want to know if I was having problems.
Back track a few hours. I woke up this morning feeling okay. I called and got appointments with both doctors. Right at 10 AM a wave of pain hit me in my lower left abdomen. Funny place for pain because it is nowhere near my incision or where my large and small intestine were sewn together. I was still in my underwear and thank goodness was wearing a bathrobe. I took a Loratab and laid down in bed, waiting for the pain to go away. It just got worse and worse. It felt like something in there was being stabbed and if I moved it would explode. I started to cry and I NEVER cry when I feel pain. I called Quinn (my father in law) and he and Brandon (brother in law) came over, gave me a blessing and helped with the kids. I couldn't get out of bed and they had to give me a blessing while I was in bed. At 11AM I took another Loratab and a little while later I was able to get up and get a shower.
I went to see my surgeon and he was stumped as to my pain. He was upset that I took two Loratab but I told him one wasn't working and, HELLO, I needed to get out of bed to get to his office. He ordered a CT scan "just in case" but really didn't seem like he believed I was in that much pain.
I then went to my internal med doc. He did an examination and asked for a urine sample. What came out of me looked nothing like urine. I was quite surprised myself. He thinks I may have a UTI, possible kidney infection and kidney stones. He was wondering how I was still walking around. I called my surgeon to let him know I am not a drug addict. I am in serious pain.
Anyway, I will go in for a CT scan tomorrow, my urine and blood samples have been shipped off and I am calling my urologist. As much as I like my internal med doc I want my urologist on top of this. I already am missing half my large intestine and would really like to keep both kidneys! ;)
Hopefully, very soon, I can have a day where I feel well. I am so tired of being sick. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Tiffani and Nate said...

You know the government has a cash for clunkers program going on right now.
Just kidding.
If you end up needing another kidney, I got two really good ones, I'm sure you could have one of them. Some days Tiff would let you have both of mine.
Nate

touch of glass said...

Oh Steph, when it rains it poors! I think about you often. Please keep updating. I loved the pictures of your kids. I can't believe how much your older two girls look just like you! So beautiful!

Danielle said...

Wow how many things you are enduring! Please call if you need babysitting. We never go anywhere these days.

Elsha said...

Man, it's just one thing after another! I hope you're feeling better soon!

Kate said...

Steph-I wish I was there just to hang with you and help you! I can't imagine how you do it with your 4 kids. You are so blessed to have such great in-laws and family around. I am thinking, praying, and hoping that it is nothing serious! Love you!

Camilla said...

i hope they can figure out what is going on with you and that its easy to fix with some meds and doesnt need any more surgery! You poor thing its just one thing after another! Take it easy, and if you have to stay in bed all day long and let the ward watch your kids and clean your house!

ManDee and Scott Laing said...

Oh my!! Well, I hope the figure everything out so you can start healing quickly! It's never fun when you take 2 steps forward and get pushed back 4. We'll keep you in our prayers. Good luck with everything!

Tifani said...

I am so so so sorry that you are still having crapy days!!! Boy this will make our getaway that much more enjoyable!!! What lounging by the boardwalk, sounds good to me!!! I love ya steph and I will always keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!! Good Luck sweetie with all the doc stuff!! I will pray that they find what this is and fast. love ya
TIF

The Gooding Family said...

Big sigh...this too shall pass. In the meantime, hang in there and know we're all praying for you. I hope you get some answers for the pain and hopefully it will not require more surgery! I'd give you one of my kidneys if you needed it, just ask! Ha, ha...but really, I would...

Nicole said...

Oh Steph- I am so sorry! You are in our prayers and I hope the Dr's are able to find out what is wrong fast! If you need a new kidney us roomates are going to start fighting over who gets to give it to you (you want mine- its the best :) )