Tuesday, January 11, 2011

We are here and connected!

12-30-2010


Arrived in Kazakhstan around 10 PM. I hurt myself as we were getting off the plane. I had been doing fine holding Colbie the whole trip but as I reached for Lauren’s backpack (while holding Colbie) I felt a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I set Lauren’s bag down and proceeded off the plane thinking I would just suck it up for 10 minutes. I got halfway down the stairs (You literally get off the plane in Atyrau. There is no shelter or ramp to the airport. You hurry down the stairs in whatever weather and take a shuttle bus to the airport) and my abdominal muscles gave up. I set Colbie down, turned around and told Jason, “I can’t do it!” Thankfully a nice man behind him, whether he was being nice or just wanted us out of the way, I don’t know, helped Jason with our carry on while he carried Colbie. I could barely hold my purse after that. OUCH!

We arrived at the airport and proceeded to apply for Visas for the kids. The Kazakh guards wear the big furry hats and the kids just stared and giggled when they saw them. The normally brusque guards stared and giggled at the kids. Kazakhs don’t usually smile, not that they are unhappy all the time, they just look that way. These guards couldn’t stop smiling at the kids. They later asked Jason if the kids were his and then patted him on the back and congratulated him on having such a large brood. Ummm....Hello? I birthed them!

After getting Visas it was time to pick up our TWELVE suitcases! Jason was on his own with this one. At this point I couldn’t even pick up Colbie. It takes forever to have them all X-Rayed, what they are looking for I have no clue. I was so happy that Sharon and Sam VanZant were there to meet us. It was so comforting to see a familiar face. Between the VanZants, a location assistant and three taxi drivers we made it to the house. Our house was fully stocked with everything we would need for a few days. The beds were made and residents of Dostyk Village had left cards, cereal, peanut butter, toys and spice bread for us! There was even soup in the refrigerator for us to heat up later.


12-31-2010 to 1-4-2011


Jet lag set in and we were zombies. The Kriegers had us over for dinner on New Years Day. We ate black eyed peas for good luck. They are a wonderful couple who fed us, welcomed us into their home, took us shopping and spoiled our kids. They have a cute little Maltese named Daisy, whom the kids adore.

The poor kids were waking up at two in the morning asking if it was daytime yet. They would then pass out around 4PM the next evening. It was not easy adjusting to having our days and nights mixed up. The sun does not rise until 9:30, sometimes 10:00 if it is cloudy. Today is the first day I feel normal and we have been here a week. I am so thankful that Jason had a few days before he started work and that the kids won’t start school until the 10th. It’s very difficult to meet new people and try to pretend that you are paying attention when really just speaking english is a hard thing to do. I feel like my personality and my ability to think and reason went missing for a few days. Thankfully I don’t feel as stupid as I did when I arrived. After a few good nights sleep my muscles have healed and I am not in pain anymore. I can also form a few intelligent thoughts. That’s a plus!


Being without phone and internet makes me feel like I have been cut off from the world. Only a few more days until I can connect with friends and family! Yay!


1-6-2011a


Tomorrow begins the celebration of Russian Orthodox Christmas. Santa has been hanging around ever since we arrived. The good news is that because of the New Year Celebration and Christmas, Jason had a two day work week! The downfall is that everything has been closed and we have to wait until Monday to get our internet service. BOOOOO!!!!


1-5-2011


Here is a day in the life of a newbie in Dostyk Village. Yesterday nearly brought me to tears from laughter. Everyone said that the walls are made of concrete and the building managers don’t like us to do anything by ourselves. If we want a picture hung we call maintenance and they send someone over.

My doorbell started ringing at 9AM. A Kazakh girl with limited English came by to show me how to work the security system. I asked her to show me how to work the safe. She said someone else would contact me and arrange to have that done. Halfway through our conversation my doorbell rings. It is a maintenance guy who speaks only Russian coming to fix the vacuum cleaner, show me how to work the switches, etc. When he was finished I asked him to hang my clock. It took one nail and he was finished. An hour later another man showed up to ask about hanging the clock. I told him someone already did. He said, “The electrician, the plumber, who? Hanging clocks is my job.” I figured it was the electrician and thanked him for stopping by. A short while later a different man came by to show me how to run the humidifier. Another hour later the man shows up to show me how to work a safe. I had five individuals show up when I placed one call to maintenance with minor work to be done.

This brings a whole new meaning to the joke, “How many Kazakhs does it take to change a light bulb!” They all do ONE thing and they do it very well.





1 comment:

larshannon said...

Oh your poor abs! Amazing to experience life in another country even if it is vicariously.