Friday, July 31, 2009

All Grown Up

I feel like I need to share the things I've learned from "having cancer". It still feels weird saying that. I don't feel like a cancer patient. I don't look like a cancer patient, either. I think I am still in a bit of denial. I don't know if there is any cancer still in there or if my labs will come back clean. My way of coping is to tell my self that they got it all and this was just some crazy illness that is over now. I feel good now and right now that is all that matters.
It may sound crazy but having this illness has been the biggest blessing that I have ever received. If I were to die tomorrow I would die happy and I know that my husband and my children would overcome and they would be happy, also. The bonus is that I am alive and I get to live...HAPPY!
I have been pretty positive the last 10 days but there was one point that I hit rock bottom. I cried like I have never cried before. I couldn't breathe and I felt that my heart might break in two. I was up late talking to Jason the night that I received the "cancer" diagnosis and I told him that everything would be all right because I trusted the Lord and was willing to accept His will. It hit me that to really trust Him and accept His will I had to accept the fact that His will may very well be that I die from this illness. I freaked out. That is one place that I vowed I will never, ever, visit again. The next few days were a whirlwind of tests, doctors visits, x-rays, preparation, etc and amid all that I really reviewed my life and the things that were holding me back from being truly content and happy. I was able to take inventory and throw out all of the things that brought stress, anger, etc. It feels wonderful to not harbor bad feelings toward anyone. If I was mad at you before, rest assured that we are good now. I refuse to hold a grudge against anyone ever again. I don't know what changed but people just don't anger me any more. I get annoyed sometimes but I am able to leave it at that. It feels really good not letting other's actions govern how I feel.
I view my kids a lot differently now. I am a lot more patient with them. I enjoy them more. Same with my husband. I have a better appreciation of him and all that he does for our family.
I have been overcome by the kindness and love from others. My friends, family and even total strangers have extended such love and support that I can't help but be happy. All of you who were willing to get on planes at a moments notice to come here to be with me...Thank you. I really believe that because of all the prayers offered in my behalf the Lord has allowed me to stay AND I have bounced right back. Besides that one rock bottom night I can truthfully say that I have felt myself being carried and comforted. I have experienced a great amount of joy when I should be feeling sorrow and pain. It is hard to not be happy when I know that I have a legion of friends cheering for me from the sidelines.
All in all this has been an experience that toughened me up, softened my heart, opened my eyes and changed my life. I feel as if I can take on the world. I would not have felt this way without the love and concern from all of you. Thanks for being there for me!
I have many posts that don't include cancer so let's say goodbye to this disease for a time and if anything changes I will keep you all posted.

13 comments:

Kate said...

Such a wonderful post! I love you and miss you so much. We definitely need to have a girls weekend get together sometime-you, Virginia,Jen, and I!

Val said...

You amaze me. Thank you for the reminder that NO MATTER WHAT we make the choice each day to be happy or not to be happy. Your choice forges a path and encourages others to jump in and follow suit. Happiness is addictive...thanks for spreading some my way!!!

touch of glass said...

Thanks for sharing! You are and will be stronger because of this! I admire your courage. Thanks for allowing me to learn and grow from your experience!

Tifani said...

You are AMAZING!!!! Thank you so much for that wonderful heartfelt testimony that yes indeed we make the choice to be happy!!! I feel the same way about letting things go and not harboring bad or ill fated feelings. you are an inspiration to so many and I will love ya like a sis forever and ever!!! When does our girls outing start!!! Let me know and I will get in touch with Misty Wendy Nicole and Nicole Let the good time roll sweetie and just know what ever happens we are right by your side and doing all we can to help lift your burdens comfort your soul. Even if it's from 1000 miles away!! A call to the Temple and a Kneel on our Knees can work miracles and I feel we have seen this in your case!!! I love ya Steph and know that I pray and think of you daily!!
Much love
a forever sister
Tif

The Gooding Family said...

That was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us. More later in a personal email.

I love you,
Wendy

Sean and Summer said...

I have been following your blog and I can honestly say you have strengthed my testimony. You are a very amazing person and the trials you and your family has gone through is more then most can bear. I thank you for sharing with everyone and if there is ever anything you need please let us know and our prayers will stay with you always. Take care.

Katie said...

you are such a great example to me!

Delcie said...

Beautiful testimony. Thank you, Stephanie.

Nicole said...

What a special post Steph! You are so amazing! Thanks for sharing those close feelings -

Lyman and Dee Gifford said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings. I guess we truly don't know how we would react in your situation but you have truly been an inspiration to me. Prayers are wonderful and I'm glad we know that it works through our faith. I'm also glad that you are home and feeling OK. If there is anything we can do please let us know. Take care and know that you are in our prayers every day.

Jacob and Rachel Ellis said...

you are amazing Steph!

SarahCarroll said...

People love you Steph. Now you know for yourself, just how much.

Chad and Jen Chamberlain said...

Beautifully said! You are AMAZING! I admire your attitude and your strength through all of this! Thanks for putting my life into better perspective! YOU ROCK STEPH!