Thursday, April 30, 2009

YES MAN! (OR WOMAN)

I have been struggling with anxiety for the past 8 or so years. It finally peaked a couple of years ago and I was really scared. I felt like I couldn't handle the responsibilities I had and I did not want to add any more. To make a long story short, I was blessed with Colbie found I COULD handle what life dishes out and more. I had an interview with my Bishop a couple years ago and I told him I was stretched to the breaking point and didn't know when I would snap. He wanted to give me another calling at that time (on top of the one I already had). Needless to say, he decided not to pressure me and he let the subject drop. At that time he told me that I needed to serve diligently and immerse myself in the scriptures in order to overcome this trial. I thought he was nuts. Recently I felt impressed that I needed to get to work. I talked to the Bishop and he said he had a calling for me and he was waiting for me to come in and tell him I was ready. He counseled me to never turn down the opportunity to serve anyone no matter how big or small. If someone asks, just do it. It reminded me of the movie, "Yes Man" with Jim Carey. I haven't seen it yet, but the premise is the same. I went home and decided to just say yes.
Since that point I have had one or many children at my house on a daily basis. I have had my phone ringing off the hook from people asking me to do odd things. The last one was my father in law asking me to come help hold a piece of wood that was too big for him to hold himself while he cut it with his table saw. My point in all this is that I have been busy. Really busy. I have never been happier. The anxiety surfaces once in a while but now I feel strong enough to squish it back down where it belongs. Who knew becoming the "Yes Man" would make me so happy?

6 comments:

Elsha said...

So I guess now would be a good time to ask you for a favor? Just kidding!

Brimaca said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to be more of a Yes woMan. Heaven knows I've been blessed with friends who are. Ashleigh left her family behind to drive off to Utah with me just like that. I want to be better.

larshannon said...

This has really worked in my favor. Thank you so much for picking up Tara and Eric for me today, and for watching them while I got the other kids gathered up.

Tifani said...

Wow thanks for the post Steph!!!! It is amazing how things workout!!!! I love ya and you are doing an amazing job!!!

Dianne said...

thanks for sharing! it's good to be reminded that serving others doesn't just benefit them, but it comes right back to us in HAPPINESS! keep us the great work!

SarahCarroll said...

So, so true. Love the post.

I can totally picture you holding that wood for Quinn.... awesome.
Speaking of... maybe this awesome photographer in Midland might snap some pictures of my newest little addition if I paid her well. :) hmm....