Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Incredible UNstinky poo

I am officially one of "those moms". You know the ones that seem paranoid about everything and think their baby's poo doesn't stink. The dreaded, "first time mom". Sorry to all of my friends who are first time mothers. You may not think you are psycho now but looking back you will realize that you were a little over the top. We all are.
Anyway, Colbie's poo does not stink. Really.
After the fiasco we had at the ER I have been trying to pay more attention to symptoms she is having. I think I even made up a new symptom. Non-stinky poo! She has been having these unscented bowel movements for about a week. I am not kidding, they don't smell like anything. We have fed her broccoli, beans, spinach, chicken, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit and chocolate. It all comes out unscented. Even Jason has commented on how since her poo doesn't smell he doesn't know when it is time for a diaper change and as a result her bum is getting a little red and irritated. I went as far as to open the diaper, (not for those with weak stomachs) and put my nose right up to it! Nothing.
I ran through the possibilities in my head. Bile is the culprit for the poop smell. Maybe she is having problems with her gall bladder? Maybe she has some weird exotic disease that is killing off her organs one by one? I looked on line. The problem could be her liver. I checked the whites of her eyes, they are bright and shiny. She doesn't seem to be in pain. No more diarrhea. Stools seem normal otherwise. What is the problem?!?!
I finally decided it wouldn't hurt to call the nurse. Here is our conversation:

Nurse: Ms. Carroll, this is nurse so and so, can you tell me what the problem is, I am not sure I am reading this message correctly.
Me: Colbie's poop has no smell.
Silence from the nurse.
Me: Really, I know it sounds silly but I am concerned that her poop doesn't smell anymore.
Nurse: (Laughing really hard at this point- we have a good relationship) I still fail to see the problem!
Me: Is it a symptom of anything?
Nurse: No, I would be thankful if I were you!

She then went on to laugh some more, the office staff laughed and I laughed. She told me I could call with any question no matter how silly.
I wonder how many bets were placed that the receptionist that took the message, "Mom is concerned that her baby's poop doesn't smell" got the message wrong? At least I can be good for a laugh, right?

4 comments:

larshannon said...

You really called? Stephanie, thank you, thank you, thank you. I love seeing what it is like to enjoy/stress about a new baby!

Kate said...

Brady's doesn't stink anymore either! They are almost the same age too. Glad to know there is really nothing wrong!!

Brimaca said...

hehe!

The Gooding Family said...

Steph, you've been a posting maniac! I love it! I enjoy your blog so much. I laughed at your stories and I could really relate to your story of the frustration you felt the day of the temple. I think everyone does that sometimes!I am glad it had a "happily ever after" ending. Love ya!