Friday, September 18, 2009

ARGHHHHH!!!!

I was all set to go to Lubbock this weekend for my nephew's birthday party and my sister-in-law mentioned that he had been recently vaccinated. I thought, no biggie, I'll just be careful around him. Then the nagging voice in the back of my head kept telling me to check with my doctor first. I called the nurse this morning. She didn't even check with the doctor. She said I absolutely could not go. In fact she was glad I called because apparently I need to check with EVERYONE I come into contact with to make sure they were not vaccinated with live viruses in the past 6 weeks.
So, here is the deal. Most of the kids I am around get vaccinated with either varicella or MMR a few times. I will be asking friends repeatedly if their kids have had these shots in the last 6 weeks before coming into their home or having anyone over to mine. I probably won't be going to any play groups or large crowds of kids for the course of my treatment, either. Please do not be offended! I have never had chicken pox and I am getting ready to kill my immune system so it is life and death for me. I can't afford to get sick with something that will produce sores all over my body.
Thank goodness for blogs, facebook and the telephone! Those will be my main source of communication for awhile.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

So sorry you have to be so confined! If you need a place to get out to, we have not had any immunizations in 6 months and none scheduled for another 6 months so you are welcome over here any time!

Tiffani and Nate said...

Sorry girl, if I had thought of it I would have had them wait til Monday to do the shots. Caleb is "very sad" that "the guys" can't come to his party.

Kate said...

I am so sorry that you are not allowed to go anywhere near people who have been recently vaccinated. I hope you have a good weekend :)

Brimaca said...

Libby just had immunizations but I have no idea what they were! Usually they give me a sheet at the old doctor...but not here. And like I keep offering - I can pick things up for you at the store or whatever if you need them. I will gladly watch Colbie for you during the day. Let me know what you need!

SarahCarroll said...

Oh bummer!
We were looking forward to seeing yall again! Ethan keeps asking about Zachary... hopefully we shall see yall again real soon!

Camilla said...

first off WOW that you never got the chicken pox as a kid! It seems it was always going aroudn back then!

I am sorry you have to isolate so much. That would be really hard, and frustrating. I hope though that by doing so you avoid geting anything while your immune system is down.

Oh and FYI if you ever want a girls night or a play date the last time that anyone in my house was vaccinated was in 2005 and we dont plan to do anymore antime soon!