Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Scaring other people's children

So, I was driving north on Midkiff (only you Midlanders will know how busy this street is) around 5 PM when I almost run over two girls who looked to be between the ages of 10 and 13 in front of HEB. They are in the middle of the road trying to cross. I drive by them and stop at the light. I am watching them go back to the sidewalk, try to cross again and almost get hit by another two cars. The whole time they are laughing hysterically. I am frantic trying to will them to get out of the road as I just saw in the news last week that a girl in the Midland/Odessa area about that age was killed crossing the street. I went on my way thinking, "Wow, I hope someone stops and tells those girls how dangerous that is." and then came the "voice". Not really an audible voice, but the voice in the back of your mind that reminds you what you should be doing. The voice said, "You are a Mom. That could be your daughter being squished in the road. Turn around and scare the dickens out of those girls so they will think twice about doing that again." I doubled back and found the two girls just going into the door of Starbucks. I approached the two girls and here was our conversation:
Me: "Excuse me, girls. I just saw you back there almost get hit by two cars. What were you thinking being in the road like that? Don't you know that a car going 40 MPH can not just stop on a dime when they see you. You are lucky you aren't dead right now."
The girs say nothing but just roll their eyes and look at each other. Of course I realize at this point that tweens are a different breed than my elementary school age kids. They aren't very impressed with this flushed and visibly shaken mom standing in front of them so I try another tactic:
Me: "Do you know that jaywalking is illegal?"
Girls: (at the mention of the word, illegal) "We are sorry. Sorry! So sorry! We won't do it again!"
Me: (Realizing the new found power I have by insinuating that they have broken the law) "I will give you girls three choices, 1- I can call the police right now and tell them what I just saw you do 2- I can call your parents and have them pick you up or 3- You can PROMISE that you will never, ever cross the road right there again. You will go to the light and cross in the crosswalk.
Girls: "We promise, in the crosswalk."
Me: "I have your word?"
Girls: "You have our word."
Now I really don't think that those girls will be jaywalking anytime soon not because they trust my judgement, or they are afraid of getting hurt (because aren't all teenagers invincible?) but because they are afraid of getting in trouble with the law.
I am so glad they didn't call me on my bluff to notify the police. I was parked in a handicapped spot with my children left unattended in the car!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

Way to go!! It takes a village. I'm sure their Mothers would be grateful to know someone was watching out for their kids.

Tiffani and Nate said...

You go girl! You may have saved a life that day.

Brimaca said...

I'm glad you did that. I love that commercial on TV where the lady almost drives away leaving a boy waiting for his dad. Then she comes back and waits with him. How often are we in such a rush we don't think of those things. Now I have another example. Besides who doesn't like scaring tweeners or teenagers for that matter.

Nicole said...

I love you Steph- I can totally picture you doing that!

Elliott and Angela Jones said...

I have to admit my favorite part of this story is at then end when you confessed you were parked in a handicap parking space with your children unattended!! Love it, way to be a hypocrite Mom! Ha, Ha