Thursday, November 13, 2008

Compartments

Jason has a time management class at Chevron and during that class his instructor talked about the differences between men and women. He brought up this term called "compartmentalising". Now I had heard this term before but never contemplated what it really was until Jason and I had this conversation. Apparently men in general are very good at compartmentalising. When a man is watching a game he is watching a game. Nothing else. If you talk to him when he is in the "game" compartment he will become irritated. If you invite him and he accepts the invitation into the "talking" compartment all is well. You get the point. When a woman is watching a game she is also balancing the checkbook, scrap booking, cooking, etc all the while wondering what the man is thinking. By the way, when you ask him what he is thinking and he says nothing he really is thinking about nothing. I don't understand how you can think about nothing but it is true. A man can sit there and think about nothing. Crazy.
Anyway, back to my story. Having compartments would have come in handy yesterday. Zachary asked for a grilled cheese sandwich so I started making one for him. Emily was in the shower and needed help washing her hair so off I ran. While I helping Emily, Colbie woke up and was hungry. I fed the baby then she pooped. At this point I started to forget what I was supposed to be paying attention to. Well, it is time for her bath anyway so I may as well give her a bath. Oh, Zach wants in the bath too. In fact he is already stripped down to his birthday suit and is waiting. What was I doing before the bath? Am I forgetting something? Oh, now Zach is mad. He wants in the bath and now he needs help washing his hair. I guess I can put Colbie down for a minute so I can help him. Wow, three kids down and only one to go I am doing so good tonight. It is only six o'clock! What was I going to feed them for dinner? Wait a minute, what is that smell? CRAP!!!
Here is a picture of the dinner compartment that I managed to burn down. Had I not left that compartment you wouldn't be laughing right now. By the way, that pan is scrubbed clean. I will always remember the sandwich I forgot. Ha!


6 comments:

The Gooding Family said...

That is too sinkin' funny. No wonder I run aruond all day long and by the end of the day it looks like I have not accomplished one single thing!!

Did your smoke alarm go off?

Tiffani and Nate said...

That is awesome! You're amazing, despite the permanent bread outline on the pan. You got three kids bathed by 6:00! Totally worth the noncompartentalised woman problem . . .

Brimaca said...

Ha Ha! Wouldn't it be nice to think about nothing. Aaaahhh. But then nothing would get accomplished so I guess it will never happen. :)

SarahCarroll said...

haha.... all the multi-tasking gets the best of us at times! While we were in Oklahoma I was going to toast the taco shells in the oven.... and I put it on broil instead! Oops! That funny thing is I didnt know that taco shells could bubble up & turn that BLACK! haha! And I love the proof picture! Too funny!

Elliott and Angela Jones said...

It is so nice to know I am not the only mom that burns grill cheese sandwiches! Burned sandwiches or not I still would take the women's way of thinking any day over the "man's" way.

Dianne said...

Do men have lower stress levels due to their compartmentalization? Hmmm...that would be nice to sit and not think.