Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kick Butt!

Last night I went to a Body Pump class at Gold's Gym. It is a weightlifting/aerobic class. You lift light weights but do so many reps that your muscles max out. I literally lost muscle coordination during the class and my legs turned into noodles. I am in so sore today, but oh baby it hurts so good!
Anyway, I am having a hard time with my stomach muscles. Here is a dilemma maybe some of you fitness buffs can help me with (Wendy...). When I do any sort of abdominal work I have a hard time getting my stomach to...well, work. It is almost like I can't find the nerves that engage my abs. I can suck in my abs while I am doing other exercises but a sit up is so hard for me to do. Is that a problem for all women who have had children or just women who have had c-sections? Any advice?

6 comments:

Katie said...

That's so funny because just the other day I was complaining to Bob that my abs need a lot of work, so he told me to do some bicycles (laying on your back with your legs in the air like you are pedaling a bike)...anyway, I couldn't even do ONE! We were both laughing so hard because it was like I had no muscles WHATSOEVER... I think my abs are long gone!

Kate said...

I hope to get in better shape after we move and I am so happy to hear that you got to go to a class at Gold's!

Jaimie said...

Sorry I don't have any advice, I don't work out! What's exercise?! :) But I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog, it was helpful and now I know who to call if it ever happens again! Thanks!

The Gooding Family said...

Wow, fitness buff? Maybe back in the day...those are big shoes to fill!

I do know that during pregnancy, your abdominal muscles separate...considerably. I always understood that you were supposed to wait until they grew back together before starting crunches or you would end up actualy making your abs protrude out. I would imagine that your abdominal muscle is cut during a c-section, so the wait time is even longer before working on your abs.

Having a mummy tummy is no fun. I am still dealing with it and Paisley is 5 months!

I am going to start Body for Life in a few weeks, want to do it with me anyone? I did it last year and my body fat dropped from around 30% (gasp) to just around 20%.

SarahCarroll said...

I will save you the pain of too much explaining, but basically if you start with strengthening your Transverse Abdominals you will be kicking like a chicken. lol! Just look 'em up online. Im not in Midland to give a demo.... and I dont wanna bore you too much. But it will stabilize your core... and allow you to do so much more without injury. It's the most important thing with exercizing.... dang, physical therapy! lol... I actually learned a thing or two.

Nicole said...

I hear you! I've heard Body for Life is good - the one Wendy is starting. I started p90x a couple of weeks ago and really like it too. Let me know if you find a cure for the mommy tummy!