Saturday, October 24, 2009

Humble Pie

So, I like to think I am tough as nails.
"I can handle it, really, I don't need help."
That seems to be my mantra.

This second round of chemo was harder than the first. I still had fun, watching my movie, down at the treatment facility (don't know what else to call it). I came home feeling a little worn out but otherwise fine. I started getting weird side effects but it was tolerable. Now I feel like I have the flu and am totally wiped out.

I have found that the sick feeling peaks a couple of days after I received treatment then I start to slowly feel better. I have about 5-7 days that I feel really good then it is time for another round.

I was lucky this time because my sister-in-law came to visit and took care of things. She likes to think that I helped her but all I did was hold a cute little baby, ooohh... such torture! I keep telling people I am fine because I don't want to complain but I am going to let it all out now. I am not as tough as I thought I was! Chemo is the pits.

I am happy to report, though, that I am on the "starting to feel better" day. When you call me and ask if there is anything I need and I automatically tell you no, feel free to ask again. Old habits are hard to break.;)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I am so sorry! It is hard to accept help even when we do need it. Did you try the zofran? I hope it offers some relief! I wish I could do more for you but I am here to watch kids or pick kids up from school, etc.

Dianne said...

You really are my hero! It's always difficult to ask for help and strangely enough, especially when we need it the most. I'd love to come do your laundry, dishes and grocery shopping so you could just nap. I sure wish I was closer about now.

The Gooding Family said...

You are still my hero!

I echo what "Nichols" said~ it is hard to ask for help, hope you're able to break out of that when you need it! I am sure everyone is ready and willing. One thing I wish I would have told people who asked me if I needed help (when Emerson was gone) was "YES! Any day you feel you can spare some time, I could always use some company or a hand with kids or housework. I won't ever ask for help, so if you truely want to help, just show up."

Hope you're feeling better when you read this!