Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Delousing


It all began last night when Lauren nonchalantly said, "Mommy, my head really itches."

If you have school age children, that is NEVER something comforting to hear. It ranks up there with, "My throat kinda hurts or my stomach feels funny.". The former almost guarantees we have strep throat and the latter is usually followed by barf everywhere. Last night when Lauren said her head itched I grabbed a flashlight and started picking through her hair. I found a few suspicious little white things that could have been dandruff but didn't see any bugs. We have never had head lice and frankly I didn't know what I was looking for. I surfed the web for awhile and gathered some info about it but was still unsure what do do. I went ahead and sent her to school and later visited the school nurse and had her look at Lauren's hair. She found a few "nits" but no lice. Her recommendation was to treat Lauren for it anyway. I pulled both Lauren and Emily out of school and started delousing. I won't go into boring details about how to rid your home of lice but I will tell you it takes forever and you have to wash EVERYTHING!!

I picked the last of what I think may have been lice from Lauren's hair tonight and fried the rest with a nice hot Chi iron. Fried lice, ha ha. I had to say it.

If you start itching, don't worry. You didn't catch it through the blog. I started itching the minute I saw what was in her hair. I itch every time I think about it. Now I must go. My head needs a good scratchin'.

11 comments:

Elsha said...

I remember every time someone got lice in elementary school the nurses would check everyone out, but as soon as you heard that someone had lice your head would start itching! Mine is just thinking about it:)

Tifani said...

How fun!!!!I remember the nurse checks too!!! They were not to bad but I remember those that did the mom's would all call eachother and ask for the best advice to get rid of it!!!! I hope you don't end up having to cut her beautiful long hair!!! I'll be scratching, I mean thinking of you, love ya Steph and good luck
hugs
Tif

larshannon said...

We're still lice free so I guess it isn't that contagious!

Ally said...

I never had lice, but the thought creeps me out. And, my oh my, those are two darling girls!

Jaimie said...

Yuck! It sounds like it was a light case though. Good thing you didn't have to cut their hair!

Steph said...

There will be no hair cutting, here. Lauren (and Jason) would not stand for it. Do you know they no longer check for lice when someone has it? Kids can even go to school with lice. They said it is too hard to find the source. I think they gave up because too many parents just don't pay attention to their kids enough to notice they have lice. That brings me to my next grip...All that hard work getting the little critters out of our house could be undone when Lauren goes back to school.

Steph said...

Whoops. I meant gripe, not grip.

touch of glass said...

I can remember the fun. Luckily I haven't had to do that with my girl. That picture of your girls looks just like you. Oh my gosh it's Stephanie! So beautiful! You always have such funny stories. Love it

Travis and Rhonda said...

Just an herbal tip--find some essential lavendar oil. Put a few drops on their head or you can drop a few drops into the shampoo when you wash their hair or both. Lice won't go near it! It smells nice--a little does a long way. Good luck!

Tifani said...

Hey that's a great bit of info about the Lavendar!!! Who would have thought. I love getting information about stuff that actually smells good too!!!

Steph said...

I tried the lavender last night. I don't know if it keeps the lice away but I was so relaxed and I smelled like I just came home from the spa! Thanks, Rhonda!