If you have a kid, all your medical problems will be blamed on lack of sleep or pregnancy. I nearly died because I couldn't get a doctor to dig deep enough to find out why I had no energy and was dizzy all the time. I could hardly stand before being diagnosed with Addison's disease. I started on hydrocortisone and perked right up. I was just a few weeks, an accident or an illness away from going into adrenal crisis. Literally. All I could get from doctors was, "Well, you just had three kids right in a row. Of course you are tired."
When I had severe pain and bowel movements my OB/GYN said it was normal to have those problems in pregnancy. The symptoms persisted for a year after my baby was born. My GI doc said I had IBS. My endocrinologist agreed to check my gall bladder but when nothing noteworthy was found referred me back to the GI doc. Finally my internist called my GI doc and pushed him to take a second look at me. The GI doc rolled his eyes, claimed that we weren't going to find anything and did a colonoscopy. Whoops. There was a softball size tumor in there! Oh, and it is cancerous.
So, I have surgery and go through chemo. Now that chemo is finished and my bowels are supposedly clear of any cancer I have constant stomach pain and no energy. When I say no energy I mean no energy. I am tired ALL THE TIME. Guess what is being blamed? Yep, chemo. Apparently if you do chemo when you are finished you should ignore every symptom you have and blame it all on chemo.
I'm not buying it. Something is wrong.
Is it too much to ask to want to feel good enough to function?
I have five doctors, you think I could get one of them to figure it out?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Man. Where do you go from here? It almost seems like you need a lawyer, but then again what could they do. FRUSTRATING. I'm so sorry Stephanie.
so sorry Stephanie! I hate doctors. I absolutely dread ever taking my kids unless i already know what's wrong and need a prescription because 10 times out of 10, they've never been able to figure out what is wrong! I have a daughter still dealing with issues a year later because nobody (including specialists) can figure out what is wrong. Aaaaaahhhhh!!
I hope you find one of those few good docs out there! Sometimes the ones fresh out of med school are the best because they're so worried about missing something, they are overly thorough.
Steph, I am so sorry someone else has to know how stupid doctors are. And I fear you know even better than I do. Keep pushing. Someone will listen. You're doing the right thing by researching your options for other places. Have you thought about the Mayo Clinic? The waiting list for the one in Minnesota is ridiculous. But the one in Arizona can typically get you in faster. Especially if you call and explain the situation. They might even find a way for you to get in to the main one in Minnesota under the circumstances. Doctors are just people that went to school for a long time. And nurses are usually overweight, unhealthy people that expect me to listen to them. Umm, practice what you preach. Sorry, I know that sounds rude, but I guess you hit a hot button here! Call if you need something. I'll listen if nothing else. My sincerest wishes for your good health and feeling GREAT! Keep us posted.
Steph, I am so sorry someone else has to know how stupid doctors are. And I fear you know even better than I do. Keep pushing. Someone will listen. You're doing the right thing by researching your options for other places. Have you thought about the Mayo Clinic? The waiting list for the one in Minnesota is ridiculous. But the one in Arizona can typically get you in faster. Especially if you call and explain the situation. They might even find a way for you to get in to the main one in Minnesota under the circumstances. Doctors are just people that went to school for a long time. And nurses are usually overweight, unhealthy people that expect me to listen to them. Umm, practice what you preach. Sorry, I know that sounds rude, but I guess you hit a hot button here! Call if you need something. I'll listen if nothing else. My sincerest wishes for your good health and feeling GREAT! Keep us posted.
Keep on being persistent!! Grab those doctors by the collar and demand them to pay attention to you!! I hope that they will listen.
I think of you so much. Actually, I just saw a picture of you today from my wedding! Good memories!
Sorry- I just realized that I'm on my mother-in-laws computer and it left her name on the comment I just left.
It's me--Rhonda
That is SO frustrating!!!! I am so sorry Steph - just dont give up and keep insisting on getting looked at - even if it means getting new doctors. You're in my prayers.
I am so so sorry that you are having to deal with this!!! I will continue to pray for you and for those Dr's I am going to put the 5 Dr's you are dealing with on the prayer roll too!!! GIve me names girl, I need names and hopefully that will help a little more!!! Love ya SIS hang in there!!! I know easier said than done huh!!!!
As always you are in my thoughts and prayers. Girl hang in there! And hopefully that new doc with get things rolling! Love you.
Praying that someone will DO something to help you and that they'll listen to you. Makes me mad you have to suffer like this...I know they are human and all, but geez, get on board, people! I love you, Stephanie.
Unbelievably frustrating steph. I am so sorry. Hang in there babe( I know, easy for me to say, but really hang in there)!
I am so sorry steph. Hang in there (I know that is easy for me to say, but really hang in there)! love, rach
I know what you mean... I was in my dr for a year every few months still complainnig i felt horrible. They made me feel like iwas a hypocondriac! turns out... after i begged for more tests... that I have PCOS, and that my gallbladder was completly non functional! I know that they hate when we come it with symptoms but come on we know our bodies and know if something is up!! I hope that they can help you and that they take you seriously when you tell them how you are feeling!
Post a Comment