I was in the grocery store, desperately trying to finish my shopping before Colbie woke up from her nap and wanted to nurse. We all know how patient a hungry baby is in the middle of a crowded grocery store. Zachary was about to lose his temper because he wanted to go home. We had been there for quite some time and I was not about to walk out of that store without getting everything on my list. Just as both kids started to cry I saw a pillar of light directly over my head. Wait, wrong story! I saw a pillar of light resting directly over the end of the grocery isle. I walked over to it and there was a bag of Blow Pops. Only $.99 for about 10 of them. I heard the angels singing the hallelujah chorus! I gave one to Colbie and one to Zach. The crying stopped. My mind became clear and the other shoppers stopped glaring at me. It was a miracle! I would like to say that is the first time I have given my infant a sucker but that would be lying. As I continued to shop I noticed that a lot of people were watching us. Some thought it was cute and some clearly didn't see the benefits of the candy. I thought long and hard about it and came up with some very logical reasons to give my baby candy:
1. Lollipops improve hand-eye coordination. Really, they do. Colbie is now trying to bring anything red and shiny to her lips.
2. They are cheaper than therapy. Like I said, the crying stopped.
3. They saved me from spending extra money on gas to come back to the store because of a forgotten item. Hey, that is good for the planet, too.
4. They prevent road rage. When I am in the car and Colbie cries, Zach howls along with her. That can get old really fast.
5. They encourage bonding between siblings. Whomever is sitting next to Colbie in the car gets to give her a sucker. They have to sometimes hold it for her or retrieve it when it is accidentally flung out of the car seat or is stuck in her hair. Colbie learns that she needs her siblings and her siblings learn to love her. We grow to love those we serve, right?
6. They prevent, "Oh no hear comes that lady with the screaming kid" looks.
7. Quiet baby, happy mama.

5 comments:
Very. Good. Points!! I am glad you pointed those out so I can stop feeling guilty!
LOVE the picture!
LOVE the story!
Those looks in the store (or unwanted comments) make me wanna knock someone out... lol!
Awesome idea! I'm glad to know that i'm not the only mom that does that
I think it's too cute! But how the heck do you keep that car seat so clean? :)
I'm glad that she has the red sucker this time because it freaked me out the time I saw her with blue lips!
I still know infant CPR...
Post a Comment