Monday, April 11, 2011

Bangkok 3-23-2011

Miss Belle and her loyal followers. The woman in the back is pointing to the man who is taking picture of these three. Colbie would pause, smile then go back to playing. It happened everytime we went out.
No seat belts mean you can sleep easily when you please!
This girl was not much older than Lauren and driving what looked like her little sister around.

We flew all day long, well, only six hours but it sure felt like forever. The kids were good and the flight uneventful. I take that back, there was one incident at the bathroom in which I accidently flung my toothbrush into my forhead and sent it clattering to the floor beneath another passengers seat. I am pretty sure the other passengers that witnessed the graceful event were entertained as suggested by the way they covered their mouths, ducked their heads and stifled their laughter. Hey, I aim to please.
How can a person accomplish such an acrobatic feat in such a small cabin, you may ask? Well, I was waiting at the bathroom door for Emily to finish her business and was clicking the cap on my compact toothbrush as one fidgeting with a pen might do (too much caffine). I guess I clicked a little to hard because before I knew it the toothbrush was airborn. It actually hurt when it hit me in the forhead.
Upon our arrival in Bangkok we immediately became the "Greatest Show on Earth". I can't count how many people stopped to ask us, "Are they all yours?" and "How old are you?". Colbie is so used to being stalked by paparrazi that she will turn around, wave, smile and high five anyone who approaches her. No one walks by without petting her.
We got off the airplane and piled into a mini van taxi. "Everyone buckle up!" I said as the driver took off. Our drivers in Atyrau won't take the car out of park until everyone is buckled. "There aren't any seat belts." the kids replied. No seat belts? NO SEAT BELTS?!?! By this time we were flying down the interstate at 80 mph. I said a prayer and kicked back. Nothing else I could do. I figured I was just as safe as the guy next to us riding on his little, teeny, tiny motorcyle with 5 passengers hanging off it.

2 comments:

The Gooding Family said...

I will never forget the first taxi ride in Bangkok (well 2nd, if you don't count from the airport to the hotel); going about 80 mph weaving in and out of traffic on the way to find a church. "At least if we die, we're dying on the way to church and that's gotta count for something" is what went thru my mind!!!

Brimaca said...

I LOVE your blogs. I miss you. You are so funny.